Monday, June 30, 2008

Long Day

Today we ran sooo many errands (well at least it felt like it). I don't know about everyone else, but I am POOPED! It's ALL BECAUSE OF the heat---the pollution---the crowdedness---the noise---I AM extremely tired!!! What a looong day---WHOOOO(wiping the sweat off my face)! When we have days like this, it makes me want to go home to Joanna's cookin and then upstairs to my room where the AC is blasting at 16 degrees! At times I want to just sprawl on my bed and take a nap. I've only had that opportunity ONCE! Jamie and Erik have so many errands in a day it's almost impossible to shut my eyes for a second! Haha...naw we get plenty of leisure time. I love it! You know what's really getting to me though??? The guys (as a matter of fact, one of the guys here at the internet cafe keeps staring at me)! SOOO annoying!!! But the guy who runs the place, Emmanuel, yeah he's great---he was born here in Ghana but his permanent home is in Virginia U.S.A. I like meeting Ghanaians who have been to America because I love to hear their stories and what they like/dislike about us haha. Speaking of Americans...I was taking a walk with Naomi and Vivian and one of the locals shouted out, "AAY! ARE YOU FROM JAMAICA?" I was like, "Okay, I'm caramel---I definitely can't pass as a Jamaican...Vivian's vanilla...and Naomi---well she can pass haha. But Jamaica though???" We told him we were from America and he was like, "Oh! Good good (stretch the 'ooo'). But that's exactly what I LOVE about the Ghanaian people. They are opened-minded, but they know what to say and when to say it. Manners here are taken very seriously. So if a Ghanaian says, "Etisen(how are you)?" you must respond with a "very fine" or a simple "I'm well thank you". I just love talking to the people because that's just how I am. When I'm feeling low or missing my family, I look at the people and that injects that warmness only family can give you. When James or Richmond(our substitute driver if James isn't available) drive us around town, I stare out the window and smile at everyone I make eye contact with. That makes my day so much more complete---putting that simple touch into a person's life. When we arrived at Nima to meet with the students( who didn't show up on time by the way---class was suppose to start at 5, but it didn't start until after 5:30), the other children who attend at other schools around the area spotted our tro-tro---man I almost cried because they had this spark---they were so happy that we came. When Richmond pulled over to park(he was our driver for the day), the kids crowded around, opened our door and started to scream and shout. THEY WERE VERY EXCITED HAHA. Many of the girls there know us and I made friends with them. When I was making my out of the tro tro, I heard one of the girls tell her friend, "Make way for Madame Beauty!" Altogether, about 6 girls pulled me down and literally jumped on me for a hug! WHAT LOVE!!! I FELT SO SPECIAL!!! When we left it just broke me to pieces...when we finally got home, I went straight to my room (you know it!) I just sat down for a few minutes and started contemplating about my future. For a second, I thought, "Where am I gonna end up 5---10 years from now?" You know you just have those random thoughts...but then I thought, "Man...where will the children end up?" That thought just made me want to stay longer! But I miss home, don't get me wrong haha. It's just I can't imagine how the children will react once we leave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany! This is Glo, Kiefer's mom. You know, your favorite IS HE IN THE CAR? dog! Your Raley's pals gave me your blog spot, I'm so happy to be able to follow you around Ghana! I'll be sure to ask you a million questions when you get home. Bye! Glorya. Kiefer says WOOF!

Zoe said...

Hey Bethany! It sounds like you're having a life-changing adventure! There is so much good work to be done in the world and I have a feeling you're one of the people that will be doing a lot of it in your lifetime. Sometimes we get these great opportunities to go to incredible places and work where they really need us - but we always come home! I'm so happy you're there - and you'll be here soon enough.
Keep on lovin' it!
Big hugs to you all - Zoe