Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Best Birthday Ever

My birthday was this past Sunday and it was such an amazing experience. It started with a small party in Nima. We had drinks and music and lots of dancing. Firdaus started it out with her amazing dance skills and slowly the crowed warmed up and started to jump in. When the FX students got up to show off their dance skills the crowd went wild. Everyone was smiling and enjoying the good vibes. We started class an hour late because the party was so fun. I honestly could have stayed at the party hours longer. It was the best birthday party I've ever had!

The class that day was lead by Naomi. She had a rocky stat due to a loud graduation outside but she pushed through and kept the class on track. I give her lots of credit for being the first one to experience teaching in a cross-cultural experience. I personally know how challenging it can be. Regardless of the obstacles the kids understood what she was teaching and the 2 groups had another great interaction.

After the class we went to the big stadium to see Ghana play Gabon in a soccer match. In my 4 trips to Ghana this was the first time I went to the stadium. It was so fun! I was honestly a little scared when we pulled up because there was a sea of cars and people. Will it be sold out? Will we be able to sit together? Will we lose each other? It was fine. We had amazing seats in the 4th row. The energy level was incredible. When Ghana scored or made a good play the stadium erupted with joy. Kids were doing cartwheels on the cement walkway infront of our seats. Vendors were walking through the stands selling drinks and snacks but in true African form they were carrying everything on their head.

BIG thanks to the FX crew for being a part of the best birthday ever. I'll never forget it!

-Jamie

5 comments:

Janet Reynolds said...

Hi my daughter -

Glad to hear you had the best birthday! It sounded like so much fun and I will be happy to celebrate again when you get home. Sounds like a wonderful time and the kids are learning so very much.

Love you kiddooo - MOM!!!!

5h4d0w said...

Jamie!!!
I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday again since you mentioned it in your blog.
You are an inspiration.

-Orlando

Unknown said...

Hi Jamie,

I'm so glad that my girls can be there to share with your happiest birthday ever.

love,

Kathy

Unknown said...

Oh, your birthday sounded wonderful! What an experience to share it with the Ghana and FX families!

You and the rest of the group are in my thoughts!

Fondly,
Heather

siamack said...

Happy birthday Jamie! And thank you for giving such an amazing gift to the students.