Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 4

First off I want to say Happy Birthday to Jamie Llyod, the woman who made this trip possible. Jamie, I hope you have a great birthday!!! Thank you for not giving up even when things got tough. The soccer game was the highlight of my day!!!

Nima
What a unforgettable moment it will be to share this time with the children. We finally got the opportunity to meet with the photography students from Nima. When we first arrived at the school, I felt something that I have never felt before. I don't know how to explain it- the children were just full of love and compassion. That made me rethink my outlook on life itself. Regardless of their misfortunes, they always smile. Their love for others is a rare type of love. The children really care about our well-being. They will ask if you are uncomfortable in any way, they will invite you into a simple conservation, and they never want you to feel like you are not welcomed. We're complete strangers from the other side of the world, and it's a good feeling to know that there are still people out there who have a heart. It just amazes me how they combat the struggles of poverty. When we visited their homes, we walked across open sewages and the ground was polluted with waste. The stench is almost unbearable. This just really shows me how blessed I am to be ME. The conditions out here come nothing close to my lifestyle. I really felt bad for the kids who weren't a part of the program. They wanted always to follow the group. They stood outside of the classroom, peeping through the open windows and asking for a camera. These kids want to be a part of something so bad and it hurts me because I can't give them that. When we went out to shoot pictures, so many children wanted to hold my hand. They all wanted to be included in a photo. It breaks my heart that they can't have the same opportunity. If I weren't so compassionate, maybe it wouldn't be sooooo difficult for me to get over everything that I am witnessing and experiencing out here.

5 comments:

spiderrico said...

hey Beth,
it's great to hear that you are learning and having fun at the same time in a new place. new perspectives are great! take care and i look forward to hearing more!
God bless,
Mosiula (chuch)

5h4d0w said...

Happy Birthday Jamie!!!

-Orlando

5h4d0w said...

Daughter,

I'm glad you're learning a lot over there about what living is all about. Keep you eyes open for more of life has to offer.

Love you,

-Daddy

Unknown said...

Yes Bethany God has a way of showing us how much we are blessed. I know exactly about open sewage and ground polluted with waste. I experienced the same conditions for thirteen years. Here's how i want you and Naomi to deal with it: look at it straight, tough it out and go on. Dab a little white flower on your handkerchief while your out,if will take care of the smell around you. Remember mind over matter.

mommy

siamack said...

It is a gift to be able to walk in the shoes of a kid that’s left out of the class. And as difficult as it may be, you are blessed to understand and feel the lives of the people around you.

While you may not be able to do all that you want for all the people at all times, a kind smile, or a gentle holding of a kid’s hand is all that’s needed to give comfort and leave a lasting impression. You are wonderful.