Sunday, June 22, 2008

Good Times


Crazy School Boys (June 19,2008)

Haha! I almost forgot!!! The other day, we came across a group of young Ghanaian school boys (probably middle-schoolers). They were awesome- full of life and energy. I shot quite a few good pics of them with Marcio’s digital camera. They were too CUTE!!! They were playing soccer and ran along our van. I happened to be sitting right next to the window, when one of the boys came up, reached over inside and poked my leg! Yes! CRAZY!!! He got all smiley and laughed with all his friends. I guess that was a really BIG deal to them, haha. I hope I get to see them again.


The Calling Card Story (June 20,2008)

Okay, so on our way to the Du Bois Museum, we stopped along the way to buy calling cards. A local was selling them for 3.50 cedis (practically $3 American). I could not wait to get home so I could finally contact my peoples. But tell me why the phone cards were voided? Yes- they were useless. Jontonette, Karen, Marcio, and Naomi bought one as well. We tested our phone cards at a nearby phone booth. I was in tears because it felt like forever since the last time I spoke with my family and boyfriend. So instead of giving up and trashing our phone cards, we started to tweak the phone a bit (only 1 out of 4 worked, and there would’ve been 5, but one was totally just gone). To use the phone, we had to follow these steps: 1.) pick up the phone (haha. duh.), 2.) insert phone card (we repeated this step for the longest), 3.) dial our number (yeah, okay- if we were lucky to get that far), and 4.) wait to be connected. I can’t count how many times we lifted the phone handle. I was furious!!! It was getting late (10:30 pm), and we were all fed up. But we decided to try it one last time until…

it worked! Yaaay!!!

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! WOW!!!

We thought we were seeing things. But no, it really was working. All along, it was the phone with the problem, not the card (the guy didn’t rip us off after all---I was ready to go after him too). I was anxious- I couldn’t wait to hear a familiar voice. Karen was first to talk, then Naomi, then ME (yes!), Marcio, then Jontonette. Dijorn didn’t buy one because he was convinced it would never work. HAHA BUT DID! IT DID! IT DID! That made my night! But you should’ve seen the look on the locals’ faces!!! Haha. We were hollerin and flashing our lights around like a bunch of crazy people. We were so happy that we were finally connected. Because I only had 100 units (about 15 mins worth of talking), I just decided to use it all up. I couldn’t help myself. I called my dad first and I told him about almost everything in about 20 seconds haha. There’s so much to share, but we were all pressed for time. I talked to my boyfriend after but we kept getting disconnected ( his phone is messed up). So finally I decided to contact him from a different number and we were able to talk for the remaining time (like barely 5 minutes). But regardless, I was super happy. I couldn’t stop smiling. I really miss home.

Workout Time! (June 20, 2008)
I got the most vigorous workout EVER. Yes, the moves were intense! This time I got the full hour ½ (I fell asleep the last time that’s why). If we keep this up about 3x’s a week, I can eat all I want- no worries! My calves and abs are feeling it right now. Ghanaians have TOO much energy- how can they do it? The men, women, and children walk along the street balancing baskets and sacks of rice on their heads. Whoa. Here in Africa they do it BIG. And it all seems to come naturally.

Beautiful
I didn’t realize the guest house had a sun roof. The stars are beautiful. God’s creation is truly remarkable. My family and friends back home can see the same sky, as well as the same stars (despite the time difference). It’s a comfort to me…

Joanna, the owner of the guest house, makes me feel right at home. I call her mama Joanna or Mama J. Her daughter Abe, who is also 18 like me, is such a beautiful and sweet girl. While Mama J was cooking dinner, I had a chance to join in conversation with them. We talked about family values, education as a priority and the importance of God in our lives. But we don’t exactly share the same religious values. Nevertheless, Joanna encouraged me to live a good life and told me to always trust in God. Well, she’s right- I wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for Him.

“You are a beautiful girl.” That’s what she told me. I love them both dearly. Abe is such a devoted daughter, full of life. Their generous nature and kind spirits have humbled me. I appreciate everything they do for us, and even with limited resources, they manage. What great character. When we leave, I will miss them.

Dinner: chicken stew and yams

Dessert: super duper juicy pineapples- the best in the world

My new names

Adwoa (ajowa)- represents the day of my birth, which was on a Monday.

Ohema- Queen Mother---yeah that’s me!

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Hey Girls (Naomi and Bethany) - I missed you all at church today. I hope you have a fabulous time! What was the workout you mentioned in this post? Your mom said you mentioned the food was so good and fresh! That sounds great! Love you, Peggy

Mo' said...

Hey Little sister, your writing is great. Enables me to picture the stories you're telling which are all wonderful and exciting. We are all so proud of you and Naomi and we miss you as well (well, Dianalin misses you guys :-D). Having been a bit of a traveler myself, in my youth, I know you're going to gain, and most likely already have gained, priceless wisdom from this experience, so press on! You are always in our prayers and we look forward to your return and rehearsing of these great stories!

In Him,
Mo'

Bethany said...

Hi!!! Yes, I have plenty more exciting stories to share! The food IS great and the people are one of a kind. I'm missing you all so much!

5h4d0w said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
5h4d0w said...


Quote:
Ohema- Queen Mother---yeah that’s me!


They don't know the half of it... :D

-Daddy