Saturday, July 12, 2008

Still on Ghana time

Just home for a little over 48 hours and I am still not over my jet lag yet. Considering the time difference is only 7 hours I am surprised I am not more adjusted. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that in Ghana there are two time zones, or ways of perceiving time, that are in effect. In Ghana there is "Ghana time" and "real time."

"Ghana time" is the way most everyone operates. When you tell someone to meet you at noon they show up at 1:00, or later, and think nothing of it. For us westerners this seems like a problem, but maybe it's how most everyone we met there stays calm and, friendly and relaxed. Maybe it's the inability to feel rushed or pressured that keeps Ghanaians more contented? Or maybe it's just accepted as a way of life and why fight it?

We began to deal with "Ghana time" almost immediately with our trotro driver James by asking him to meet us anywhere from 1-2 hours earlier than needed. This worked almost all the time with him. James was a great driver and became quite connected to our group. Always complying with the student's requests to turn up the music and always willing to talk to anyone. Once we figured out that James runs on "Ghana time" we were able to work around his schedule in most cases. Only a few times did he leave us stranded and at the mercy of ruthless street vendors swooping down on us for the sale.

Once, while waiting for James after lunch in Osu, we had forgotten to call him mid-meal to say we were ready to go and had to wait in the hot sun dealing with Bizmark, Raegan and others continually asking us to buy their wares. When our patience was being tested Jontonnette would get on the phone to him and berate him, well, more like comically harass him, to get to us NOW! It was hysterical to hear her end of the conversation. "JAMES!!! Where are you? I am dying out here. I am gonna faint in this heat! How far are you? Six minutes? You said that ten minutes ago! Why are you doing this to me? Just down the road? I don't see you! James, I'm really about to faint. I might die on the streets here if you don't come soon. I'm selling necklaces just to hang on. Get over here now!!! This is killing me!" (Note: this may not be exactly accurate, but you get the idea.) I can only guess what James was thinking listening to her diatribe, but he never hung up on her and eventually showed up with a smile. Jontonnette's humor helped keep the rest of us from getting upset.


To James's credit, when we told him we needed to be picked up super early to get to the airport he showed up earlier than requested and waited for us! I know he liked us because he gave us all his email and contact info, but never seemed to expect anything more than perhaps a friendly email. As several of the group have already commented James was a big part of our experience in Accra. Poor Jamie now has to deal with public transportation and misses him dearly I am sure. Having our own trotro driver may seem quite luxurious, but you try getting a group of 8 around Accra all day long with taxi's and public transportation. It was much cheaper, and far more entertaining, in the end to hire James and deal with "Ghana time."

I'm not so sure I am ready to be back on "real time" here at home yet. My lack of a solid night sleep may have something to do with this, but there is something to be said about a more relaxed pace and way of life. I will miss hearing "I'm coming" from our Ghanaian friends.


Last impromptu dance session with Morgan


The always smiling Kojo drums for the dancers

3 comments:

Don Anderson said...

Welcome back, Eric. I look forward to hearing everything about the trip I haven't read on the blogs. Try to get some sleep.

Bethany said...

awwwwwwwwwwww i miss everyone back in Ghana!!!

STAR said...

i miss ghana sooooo much , and the times we spend dancing.