Monday, July 7, 2008

Only two more days...

Compassion
The congregation this time had a guest speaker. The lesson was on COMPASSION. Again, this is another great lesson to learn and grow from. By helping the children in Nima with photography is a sign of compassion. I strongly believe that our motivation comes through LOVE. Being with the kids is a reward all its own. I love the fact that the children have an opportunity to show the world what they are capable of even when all they have is a little point and shoot camera. I can't wait for the exhibition---I can't wait to tell others how much I've changed as a peron---and it's because of COMPASSION that I will always remember the people who have touched me here in Ghana.

The Weakest Internet Cafe---EVER
Yesterday morning, my sister and I were totally in the blogging mood. So we decide to hit up our regular spot down the street after church. Come to realize it, they were undergoing a bit of a remodel so we had to go next door. I was so bummed about that because I had a feeling the internet cafe right next to our usual spot would be incredibly WEAK. And it was. But I have to say, they do charge less for an hour session (our regular charges 50 peswas/ 50 cents, and the other place only charges 30 peswas/ 30 cents). When we arrived, I noticed that most, if not all the monitors or computers were off. The models looked super old anyways...but we had to work with it. So here I am all excited to get online---but my page is taking forever in a day to load! "Why is it taking sooo long???" I start getting impatient and finally tell the guy who runs the place, "Um, excuse me, but I don't think I'm connected to the internet." He comes and does all kinds of weird twirks only my dad would understand. It so happenes that my sister couldn't go online either, so we had to wait for about "two minutes" (the guy kept telling us "Oh, two minutes---two minutes.") Man I was sitting up in that hot room for about a good 30 minutes before I fell asleep on the keyboard. I wake up and still---NO CONNECTION. I ask my sister if we should just leave and take the money. She tells me, "No Beth, maybe 10 more minutes." MAN FORGET THAT! I was hungry, hot, sleepy, grumpy, mad---just FED UP! I did not just waste almost a full hour doing NOTHING! I wanted to blog sooo bad and it bothers me when I can't do it everday. Being the sweet girl that I am though, I agree to wait 10 more minutes. TEN MINUTES LATER...STILL NO CONNECTION!!! The cafe is packed now full of people...meaning more body heat!!! Okay by that time I had to get up an dsay something. I went up to the boy and told him that I had to leave because we were on a tight schedule. I asked him whether or not it would be working by the next day (today) and he nods his head yeah. He let me keep my passcode so I wouldn't have to pay him again for my next visit. I HOPE FOR HIS SAKE THAT I CAN GET ONLINE.

I don't want to leave...
I can't believe that we're leaving in two days...My heart goes out to all who have made this wonderful experience come to life. I can guarantee one thing---I don't regret accepting this oppportunity. Although we had a few bumbs along the way, I feel it only made us stronger. I can go home and have a totally different outlook on my life. At work, when my customers may annoy me, I'll just think of all the happy memories in Ghana. When a friend is in trouble, I'll be the first to run and help them. If my parents are getting on my case about something, I'll listen instead of arguing back. When I go home, I will definitely be CHANGED. And because of COMPASSION, it won't be so difficult to leave. I love the people so much that I know I will be back.


1 comment:

5h4d0w said...

Daughter,
There's nothing like being on the other side of the world and seeing how people cope with very little. You hear about it, but when you see it with your own eyes... I truly hope this experience will aid you on your journey. I'm really proud of you.

-Daddy