Thursday, July 10, 2008

HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I'M REALLY MISSING MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME: GHANA. ACCRA. ALAJO. JOANNA, ABBY AND ALASKA. JAMES. MORGAN, KOJO &RICHARD. NIMA. ST. KIZITOS. THE KIDS. THE PEOPLE. THE VENDORS. EVERYTHING I'VE COME TO KNOW AND EVEN LOVE.

i'm really having a hard time adjusting to being back in the states. i miss ghana so much, you don't even know. i miss everything and everyone. i cried last night just thinking about my second home and not being able to wake up and be there. a rasta approached me on my last day at st. kizitos and asked if i was a native ghanaian--not only because of my name, my clothes and my jewelry but he said it seemed as if i was walking around like i was at home. it's true, i do feel at home in ghana and i really do like it, no love it way more than the states. 
i have been truly humbled and see life in a whole new light. ghana has made me thankful for what i have and has made me appreciate every single thing i have going in life, even the bad stuff. i am thankful for my three-bedroom, two-bathroom home that houses ten people and sometimes more when all people have in ghana sometimes is a single room. i am thankful for my kitchen with my ghetto sink and broken cabinet when there are people in ghana who have some rocks, wood and a fire as their kitchen. i am thankful for my small bathroom with my quirky toilet when the gutter and outdoors are people's bathroom. i'm just really thankful for everything that i've been blessed with--i've gotten all that i need plus more and these people struggle from day to day to live. i'm not trying to make you feel sorry for them because that's exactly how i DON'T want you to feel. i'm happy for these people because they are in poor conditions and bad situations and may not have much, yet they go about life so positively and have this happiness that makes you envy them. i mean here we are complaining over dumb stuff while these people are struggling and we have everything and still aren't happy and they're the true meaning of contentment and they make due with what they have.! i hope one day, lord willing to return to GHANA and i can't wait for that day.

No comments: